Resilience Intern - Summer 2020
- - Resilience
- Arlington, VA, USA
The intern will work directly with the Resilience Fellow and program staff to assist with both short-term and long-term research projects related to climate change resilience. Businesses and government agencies at all levels are preparing for the climate change impacts affecting their communities today and expected to increase in the future. The C2ES Resilience Intern will have the opportunity to study one or more aspects of resilience planning in detail, in close collaboration with C2ES's resilience experts. Potential research topics include federal flood insurance policy, electricity sector resilience and reliability, and urban planning as it relates to climate resilience. The specific area(s) of research will depend upon the intern's background.
• Conduct independent research and analysis on one or more resilience policy topics, with supervision provided by C2ES resilience experts.
• Contribute to staff research and analysis of resilience topics, for example by attending public events in the Washington, DC area related to resilience.
• Develop and contribute to written material including, possible blog posts and policy briefs published on the C2ES website.
• Support C2ES resilience team activities through an enthusiasm to learn and a willingness to engage in intellectual debate.
• Provide some support to other program areas' events and research when needed.
• Undergraduate or graduate studies in a field complementary of C2ES staff expertise. Desirable academic majors include Environmental Science, Climate or Atmospheric Science, Civil or Environmental Engineering, Urban Planning, and Public Policy.
• The ideal candidate will be currently enrolled in a graduate program, though undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.
• Interdisciplinary understanding of the climate change resilience issues (e.g. science, engineering, urban planning, policy, or finance) is a plus.
• Top notch writing skills
• Ability to think critically and work independently.
• Willingness to learn and pitch in at all levels.
Status: Full- or part-time
About the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions: C2ES is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization working to forge practical solutions to climate change. Our mission is to advance strong policy and action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, promote clean energy, and strengthen resilience to climate impacts. A key objective is a national market-based program to reduce emissions cost-effectively. We believe a sound climate strategy is essential to ensure a strong, sustainable economy.
C2ES is widely recognized as an influential and pragmatic voice on climate issues. We are:
• A Trusted Source – Ranking regularly among the top environmental think tanks in the world, C2ES provides timely, impartial information and analysis on our pressing climate and energy challenges.
• A Bridge-Builder – We bring city, state, and national policymakers together with businesses and other stakeholders to achieve common understanding and consensus solutions.
• A Policy Innovator – We develop market-based solutions and other practical policy approaches that deliver real and lasting climate progress.
• A Catalyst for Business Action – We work with Fortune 500 companies to strengthen business action and business support for effective climate policy.
*To apply, please upload a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to our website