- - Administration
- Washington DC, DC, USA
- Full Time
Human Resources Manager
About the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES): C2ES is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization working to forge practical solutions to climate change. We are widely recognized as an influential and pragmatic voice on climate issues, a trusted convener, and a credible source of expertise and analysis. We work closely with federal, state, and local policymakers, executives of Fortune 500 businesses, international climate negotiators, and a wide range of other stakeholders to advance strong policy and action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, promote clean energy, and strengthen resilience to climate impacts. We believe ambitious and effective climate policy is essential to a thriving, sustainable economy.
Are you interested in supporting a small, deeply collaborative team of passionate individuals dedicated to advancing practical solutions to climate change? Do you work well independently and thrive in a fast-paced environment? If so, we would like to speak with you.
Position Summary: The Human Resources Manager is an HR generalist responsible for overseeing all human resources functions – including recruitment, hiring, retention, professional development, benefits administration, recordkeeping, and ensuring compliance with relevant local, state, and federal requirements – for a small organization that is poised for growth (currently two dozen staff plus interns). The HR Manager also plays a key role in building and sustaining a strong organizational culture, and will be a key partner, steward, champion, and internal thought leader to deepen C2ES's ongoing investment in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). This position will be responsible for aligning and executing a cohesive approach that integrates new and existing corporate policies, programs, systems, and procedures that cultivate an environment where all can thrive.
• Manage staff on-boarding and terminations; maintain employee records, leave balances, and time sheets; generate offer and separation letters; and provide oversight of internship coordination, job description development, annual reviews, and disciplinary processes
• Administer benefit plans including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, retirement accounts, COBRA, and life and disability insurance with assistance from the Finance Manager, benefits brokers, and providers
• Manage staff recruitment by posting job announcements to college and career websites and assist hiring managers with application process, managing applicant database, and screening of applicants to meet the specific needs of C2ES programs.
• Drive HR and DEI strategy through tangible actions; plan, build and sustain initiative momentum throughout the organization
• Co-Chair the C2ES DEI Leadership Council; implement C2ES' DEI policy; and expand our outreach and recruitment to ensure a diverse applicant pool, including developing relationships with universities (including HBCUs, diversity-based professional organizations, and other organizations) to grow a diverse pipeline of talent
• As Co-Chair of the council, take on primary ownership of developing and executing strategy for increasing organizational capacity for DEI among staff and external partners, and support program staff in integrating equity and justice considerations into program delivery and outcomes
• Develop and deploy effective internal and external communications and branding to influence participation and perceptions of C2ES as an employer of choice, committed to the attraction, retention, and development of all staff
• Ensure sound office policies and practices, including remote working policies and practices to ensure team cohesion, as well as compliance with all applicable laws
• Manage continuing education and professional development opportunities for staff
• Ensure that the organization is following requirements regarding state and local filings; safety protocols; Conflict of Interest forms and protocols; lobbying rules and reporting; and business insurance, including property and casualty, directors and officers, worker's compensation, and employer's liability
• Experience in benefits administration and human resources
• Experience working on and implementing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in organizations
• Familiarity with compliance requirements for non-profit organizations
• Highly organized and attentive to detail
• Proven judgment
• Passion for cultivating and fostering effective organizational culture
• Ability to work independently
• Willingness to learn and pitch in at all levels, as needed
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, along with situational awareness and understanding of the importance of HR to a growing organization
• Bachelor's degree plus at least five (5) years' relevant experience
• SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification, highly preferred
Employment Status: Full time, regular, exempt.
Reporting to: Chief Financial Officer. This position will also be directly accountable to, and work closely with, the President on DEI strategy.
Location: Based in Arlington, VA office; minimum 3 days/week expected in the office.
C2ES is fully committed to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. C2ES is committed to creating and growing a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization and among the stakeholders we collaborate with and convene. By fostering this culture, we can enhance our work and amplify our impact.
*To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume to our website.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts