Director, Global Carbon Markets
- - Climate Innovation
- Arlington, VA, USA
- Full Time
About the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES): C2ES is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization working to forge ambitious and practical solutions to climate change. Our mission is to secure and safe and stable climate by accelerating the transition to a thriving, just and resilient low-carbon economy. What sets C2ES apart is our combination of policy and analytical expertise, longstanding relationships with leading businesses, and reputation as a trusted convener. We work closely with international climate negotiators, federal, state, and local policymakers, executives of Fortune 500 businesses, and a wide range of other stakeholders to advance strong policy and action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, promote clean energy, and strengthen resilience to climate impacts. We believe ambitious and effective climate policy is essential to a prosperous, sustainable, and equitable economy. As an organization, we are collaborative, unconstrained by silos, focused on where we can have greatest impact, and excited about growing our scale and reach while maintaining our nimbleness and entrepreneurial culture.
Position Summary: The Director, Global Carbon Markets, will lead C2ES's work on global carbon markets, helping to build a world-class team and cement C2ES's position as a leading organization on market-based solutions. The Director will report to the Vice President for International Strategies and will also work closely with the President on carbon markets strategy.
Position Status: - NEW
- Direct C2ES's growing work to promote a high-integrity voluntary carbon market, including playing a lead role in the Executive Secretariat of the Integrity Council for the Voluntary Carbon Market; maintaining high-level involvement in the Voluntary Carbon Market Integrity initiative; and engaging on carbon markets and related issues with the Race to Zero, the Science-Based Targets initiative, and other relevant initiatives;
- Convene ad hoc processes to resolve key issues and address barriers to the growth of the voluntary carbon market, bringing together international stakeholders from government, business, and the private sector;
- Develop and direct C2ES's strategy on accelerating the implementation of cooperative approaches under Article 6 of the Paris Agreement, potentially including catalyzing the formation of carbon market "clubs" and/or piloting transactions under Article 6;
- Provide technical expertise and advice on carbon markets to C2ES colleagues and to C2ES's extensive set of external stakeholders, including international climate negotiators; members of the Business Environmental Leadership Council (BELC) and other companies, in collaboration with the VP, Business Engagement; and federal and state policy makers in the United States, in collaboration with the VP, Policy & Outreach;
- As a senior member of C2ES's international team, led by the VP for International Strategies, participate in and help to organize C2ES's regular convenings of Heads of Delegation and other international policy makers, as needed;
- Contribute to C2ES's work on carbon border adjustment mechanisms, in close collaboration with colleagues including the VP for International Strategies and the VP for Policy & Outreach;
- Contribute to C2ES's engagement with companies on making and meeting voluntary climate commitments, including through carbon credits and other voluntary market mechanisms, in close collaboration with the VP for Business Engagement;
- Help build a diverse, world-class team, which is expected to grow along with the resources raised;
- Help to develop a compelling fundraising strategy to raise the resources needed to build a world-class team and cement C2ES's position as a leading NGO working on market-based solutions;
- Represent C2ES in conferences, meetings, and other fora, and in interactions with stakeholders from government, business, and civil society.
- Deep expertise in carbon markets, emissions accounting and reporting, and related areas
- Extensive networks and connections among key actors in governments, international and multilateral organizations, and civil society
- Experience working in government and/or multilateral organizations
- Experience in the international climate negotiations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience building and managing diverse, high-performing teams
- Humility, collegiality, a sense of humor, and a deep spirit of collaboration
- Bachelors degree plus 10 years of relevant experience; law degree or other graduate degree in relevant field a plus.
**Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample of your choice. We realize this requires an investment of your time and we appreciate your help in determining if we're a strong fit for one another.
Employment Status: Full time, benefits-eligible; exempt from overtime.
- Health Insurance. C2ES covers 75% of the health insurance premiums.
- Dental Insurance. C2ES covers 100% of the total cost dental plan.
- Vision Insurance: Employee covers the total cost of this plan.
- Group Life insurance and Voluntary Life insurance.
- Leave Time: New employees start with 3 weeks' vacation per year.
- Sick time: up to 10 days per year.
- Personal Leave: Up to Two personal leave days.
- FMLA Leave: Case by case is evaluated by the Supervisor and HR.
- Holidays: C2ES observes 12 holidays during the year. Additionally, the organization closes the last week of year.
- Flexible environment.
Reporting to: Vice President, International Strategies
Travel, Time & Location Requirements: Location may be located in Arlington, VA, or remote; if remote, physical presence in the main office is expected at least 5 days per quarter. Travel expected as necessary for international workshops and conferences, as well as for occasional travel for fundraising.
We also are fully committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. We believe we will only be effective in developing and advocating for climate solutions if we have a diverse range of voices and perspectives represented within C2ES, in our work, and among our partners. C2ES is committed to creating and growing a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization and among the stakeholders we collaborate with and convene. By fostering this culture, we can enhance our work and amplify our impact. We encourage individuals of all races, ethnicities, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, sexual identities, and abilities to apply for this position. For more on C2ES's DEIJ policy, visit: https://www.c2es.org/about/diversity-equity-inclusion-and-justice/